Cyber Range Alliance
An Arizona Cyber Threat Response Alliance (ACTRA) initiative developed in collaboration with the NACRA Alliance Participants aims to strengthen US cyber defenses by answering the growing number of cyber threats by increasing the number of trusted and well-trained cyber operatives in the US.
NACRA does this by developing an alliance of like-minded cyber ranges which adopt a uniform code of conduct and commit to collaboration for the common good.
The Alliance promotes cyber range autonomy at the local level foster individual creativity, ensure unique workforce- and economic development needs are met, and it promotes close collaboration between NACRA ranges to defend US interests in cyberspace, and neutralize adversarial threats responsibly.
Cyber ranges which join the North American Cyber Range Alliance (NACRA) affirm their commitment to taking an ethical, safe, collaborative, inclusive, respectful, and legal approach to cyber range operations.
The NACRA ethos is to create live-fire cybersecurity learning environments in which veterans of cybersecurity and aspiring learners of the discipline can collaborate.
Given the tremendous responsibility of those who possess cybersecurity skills, both NACRA range volunteers and visitors to NACRA ranges are expected to abide by ethical and professional standards similar to those required of any professional workplace.
Representative Alliance Participants
GCU Cyber Center of Excellence
The GCU Cyber Center of Excellence offers a hands-on learning environment in a 2,400 square-foot cyber range with a secured network, expertly configured threat-hunting laptops, and a dedicated server room hosting a variety of common target environments. The CCE combines apprenticeship with real-world experiences to develop students who have the competence and knowledge required to defend assets in cyberspace.
The CCE is located on the Grand Canyon University campus at 5115 N. 27th Ave, Building 66, in Phoenix.
EMCC Cybersecurity Center of Excellence
Estrella Mountain Community College (EMCC) is a nationally recognized Center of Academic Excellence (CAE) for 2-year schools in Cybersecurity Education by the National Security Agency and the Department of Homeland Security. Located in Avondale, Arizona, EMCC offers IT and cybersecurity programs that prepare students with the fundamental knowledge and technical skills that directly lead to rewarding cybersecurity and information technology careers. Additionally, the college has a rich history of hosting local, national and international speakers who have covered a variety of topics such as Red Hat Linux, Internet of Things, and Cybersecurity. EMCC also periodically presents workshops (which are open to the public) covering various cybersecurity topics.
ABL Cyber Academy
The ABL Cyber Range has earned the reputation of making cybersecurity approachable even to newcomers to the field. ABL Cyber Range is a practice-based, safe learning environment for performing hands-on penetration testing to learn how systems are compromised. Each lesson allows the student to use top cyber security tools to attack and exploit vulnerabilities found within internal cyber range websites, applications and devices. This progressive learning directly relates to job roles requiring industry recognized certifications. Students acquiring certifications at ABL identify, research, conduct experiments, and determine the right tool for a given situation just as they would in the workplace. The learning environment is highly supported by mentors and tutors available to students when and where needed to ensure skills acquisition.
Valleywise Healthcare is a private range facility which focuses its cybersecurity training resources to ensure that security professionals can protect patient data and defend key biomedical systems.
Alliance Member Roles and Responsibilities
Recognizing that cyber-attacks provide a serious and consistent threat to all of us and the development of cyberwarfare ranges provides a viable countermeasure in training and developing our future cyber warriors
- Adopting a unified collaborative vision for individual grass roots driven cyberwarfare ranges designed to drive community workforce and economic development
- Leverage individual community initiative and ideas aligned with community goals and the overall jointly developed vision
- Support and encourage grass roots driven member ranges to develop unique offerings and solutions, but with a uniform ethical foundation and enforced oversight capabilities
- Prepare our future and existing cybersecurity, information technology and related workforce to more effectively respond to capable adversaries through understanding how the adversary think and acts, and developing hands on skills to defeat the adversary
- Adopt the NACRA Code of Ethics
- Adopt NACRA Strategic Technical Plan
- Think globally, act locally.
- Operate an ethical, grassroots-driven range cyber range
- Treat your range as a community outreach resource to attract and develop workforce talent
- Programmatically develop and support cybersecurity training exercises
- Contribute information and insights to fellow Alliance members through the NACRA community platform
- Participate in cross-site virtual support volunteer network
- Participate in cross-site Red/Blue Team exercises and other range events